Mama of 3. Founder of TodaysMama.com and Click Retreat, a photography and social media retreat for bloggers. TEDx: What?

Sponge Bob is Making Your Kids Stupid

I am vindicated.

I’m always telling my dad that the cartoons on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon that he lets my kids watch when they come over are rotting their brains.

Just look at the pace the shows are moving. Track how fast the images change on the screen. Most screen shots change every second, some are as fast as half a second. Compare that pace to that of the shows on PBS. The difference is massive. My dad thought I was an over reactor . . . until he heard the study on the radio and realized his genius grandchildren’s IQ’s were being threatened (he belongs to MENSA). I know, you’d think that for a person with such a high IQ he would have been able to call out the adverse effects of the programming intuitively. Like me.

A study released by Angeline Lillard and Jennifer Peterson, both of the University of Virginia’s department of psychology proved that kids who viewed just 9 minutes of “Sponge Bob Square Pants” scored significantly lower than their peers when tested after viewing the program. (latimes.com).

Of course Nickelodeon does not agree with the study.  Sponge Bob was certainly not meant for pre-schoolers. I don’t think it’s meant for 6-9 year olds either.  Maybe I should join MENSA too.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. carrie 09/23/2011 at 10:03 am

Of course, it is indeed more meant for teens, but my boy has watched it from time to time and is still the smartest kid in his kindergarten class. And the study? How many kids did it test? It was perhaps by chance that the ones selected for the viewing were already a bit less-intelligent than the ones who didn’t. Now, was there really reason to shake our fingers at any kind of entertainment kids get to watch on their sick-days or periodical free time?

2. Dee Ann Van Dam 09/21/2011 at 1:18 pm

No, that is the silliest thing I have ever heard of. This is a woman with too much time on her hands. I have 9 grandbabies that have all watched Sponge Bob over the years.(including their grandma). Two have an IQ of 130 & 136. The 8 year olds IQ is 152. Maybe she should except some children are just born stupid. And I’m guessing these are the same people that grew up watching the Three Stooges.

3. lirpahosford@gmail.com 09/20/2011 at 7:55 am

That is just ridiculous! We watched and laughed at spongebob regularly and all 3 of my kids are in the gifted and talented program!!

4. Martina McConnon 09/19/2011 at 2:03 pm

Ha! Great! I knew it! Spongebob wasn’t allowed in our house and I, too, feel vindicated. Our son (9) has just been tested gifted, so there. Not sure HOW much exactly that has to do with the non-Spongebob-ing, but he definitely had more time to read and do creative stuff than his peers some of who have had a TV in their bedroom from the tender age of 5… Thanks for posting!

5. EP 09/19/2011 at 12:29 pm

Oh Puh-leez!!!!! Why would a parent let their 4 year old watch SpongeBob in the first place!? Probably because the “parent” watches it themselves! My son is almost twelve and was not allowed to watch that show until he was nine. He is now in the advanced laerning program at his school. Really people? Be objective when reading these kind of studies. So many things need to be taken into consideration. You need to know all the details and facts, some of which are usually left out to benefit the researcher and the “findings”. Thanks for letting me rant.

• EP 09/19/2011 at 12:30 pm

oops – learning

6. Pingback: Sponge Bob is Making Your Kids Stupid | RachaelH.com

7. CoolPlaygroundMommy 09/15/2011 at 12:24 pm

HAHA! I heard about this while watching the news this week. I’m guilty as charged. We allow our kids to watch Sponge Bob.

8. Raejean 09/15/2011 at 7:04 am

I don’t think I could handle 9 minutes of Sponge Bob. I too have been telling my extended family that I feel my IQ lower after just a few seconds. I feel a lot better about banning it from my house! Thanks for sharing the ammunition.