Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

Get Rid of Your Voicemail

I hate voicemail.

Voicemail used to be an office thing. Then some idiot decided it belonged on cell phones and I’ve had to check voicemails ever since. I hate it. I hate computer system, the way that if you reboot your phone it comes up as a new voicemail, how you have to call-in, all of it.

People have this annoying way of thinking that if they leave a message you are now responsible for completing whatever it is they want done. I don’t want to be drafted into something because you left me a voicemail. No. I don’t want to do it. And visual voicemail isn’t much better.

I can see who called. I am capable of calling them back, if I remember/want to. Texting, email, Twitter, Facebook, calling back–all ways to contact me without leaving me a voicemail.

Stupid calling into a number having to hit 7, then 7, to delete, yes I’m sure, delete the freaking message!

A while back I changed the greeting on my voicemail (ugh, recording greetings) to say “Thanks for calling but don’t leave me a voicemail because I don’t check them. Text and email are the easiest ways to contact me, thanks!” My mom called me and said my greeting was rude.

“That’s because I HATE voicemail, mom! I hate the stupid icon on my phone telling me there’s a message. I don’t check it for weeks. It’s time consuming and annoying.”

So when I read last week that Rachael had taken email off her phone I was inspired to take something off my phone, too: voicemail.

I called my cell phone provider and when I got through to the customer service rep, I asked them to delete my voicemail box. AND THEY DID IT. The whole process took less than two minutes.

I am voicemail free!

So if you want to leave me a message, you’ll have to find another way to do it.

Remember, technology is on your terms. You can decide what you will and what you won’t allow. If you don’t like a feature, hate texts, wish people wouldn’t call you, whatever it is, cut it out. You are as reachable or unreachable as you choose to be. You are the master of your fate, or, at least, you’re the master of your voicemail.

Is there a technology that you’d like to eliminate?

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Michael Gerhard 06/20/2013 at 8:47 am

Hi,

There is an easy way to turn off voice mail without even having to communicate with another person just dial ##004#!

More details here:

Michael

2. Jen-Eighty MPH Mom 09/14/2011 at 8:49 am

I hate voicemail for a different reason. Other people’s voicemail. My father-in-law is notorious for this. I call him and his phone goes straight to voicemail. I leave a message for him saying “You don’t need to call back, I just wanted to tell you that….”. So he calls back and says, “What’s up?”. I ask if he listened to my voicemail and he says no. So I have to repeat it all over again. Drives me nuts!

3. Sisifo 09/12/2011 at 3:17 pm

Oh, I’m inspired. And I’m so doing this. (Leave it to our mothers to tell us we’re rude.) I have told everyone not to leave voice mails because we pay extra to check them, but they leave them anyway. Um, mom? I told you not to. We’re poor. You did anyway. THAT’S rude…

4. dmd 09/12/2011 at 1:27 pm

I can’t agree with this one. I think there are times when voice mail is more appropriate than texting or emailing. And yes, I can see someone has called, but I *HATE* when I accidentally call someone or call someone, they don’t answer, and I call someone else to get the answer, and then they call back and I have to go through the whole thing of why I called. Calling someone does not always mean I want an answer. If I’m at a remote location, I don’t always want to tap in an email or text if it’s something long-winded that I need to share, especially when calling back is not an option (perhaps I’m in a break at a meeting or in a location where I don’t want the phone to ring and I just want to call and tell someone (or leave a message) about this thing I learned.

5. Ben 09/08/2011 at 12:48 pm

Nice stuff. I hate voicemail too. I refuse to ever dial a number to call into voicemail and listen to them in succession. Visual voicemail is good, being able to jump to a voicemail in a non-linear fashion and scrub through the audio. Google Voice is even better. All my voicemail goes directly to Google Voice. Being able to listen to the voicemail on my computer headphones while I work is fantastic. The one thing you miss without voicemail is when someone like my mom calls and leaves a voicemail like this “Hello, are you there, can you pick up please?” (She still thinks it’s an answering machine). Now I can forward those voicemails with a single click in Google voice and let everyone hear the hilariousness. 🙂

6. Kalli 09/08/2011 at 9:19 am

Dalene, I always hang up if someone puts me on call waiting. It’s my policy.

7. Erica Fehrman 09/08/2011 at 8:01 am

What gets me is when certain people (usually family members, usually my mom) call my cell phone, and when I don’t/can’t pick up, call my land line phone (which I still have for certain reasons but never use; another story) and leave voicemails on BOTH PHONES. For the love, I’ll call back in 30 seconds when I’m not elbow deep in a diaper change!! But I love her anyway 🙂

• Jen-Eighty MPH Mom 09/14/2011 at 8:47 am

Oh I hate it when people do this!! And it’s never important either! Choose one or the other but don’t call both of my phones. UGH.

8. Dalene 09/08/2011 at 7:53 am

Call waiting. I hate being left waiting on call waiting. (First come first served, right?) I especially hate when someone leaves you on call waiting FOR FOREVER and then gets mad at you when you hang up and then calls you back and tells you that it wasn’t that long. Inevitably it is MUCH longer than they think it is because they are talking to someone else and you’re just waiting.

Also, I don’t think your message was rude. I know a few people who have similar messages and I think it’s perfectly reasonable to let someone know the best way to reach you.

Getting it taken off? Even better!

9. Amanda Dittlinger 09/08/2011 at 7:50 am

Good for you! Making technology work for you is important. I personally don’t mind voicemail once I got Google Voicemail, because I can “read” the message and then delete it with a one tap button. Before that, I was right with you hating it! I almost deleted Words with Friends from my phone because it was driving me crazy! The ap wouldn’t work all the time, and I had stupid pressure that my friends were waiting on me to take my turn. It finally started working again, but if it ever flakes on me again, it’s OUT of my phone!

But thank you for this article and giving me a chance to reflect in my life where technology isn’t working for me.