Erin is a mom of two and has been with Today’s Mama for ten years. She is charged with finding and sharing all of the wonderful things the web has to offer. She is particularly fond of food, photography, printables, and funny things. She writes about losing weight in her Healthy Living for Mom series, and is chronicling her attempt to master her DSLR camera with her series, Big Girl Camera.

Healthy Living for Mom: Let’s Do This

My baby boy just hit the six-month mark…aaaand I’m still rocking my maternity pants.

I’m not gonna lie…

I’ve also been wearing a few maternity tops. To cover the chub.

I do have a “going out” outfit that I purchased for a family party when I was six-weeks postpartum.  It consists of control top leggings (Suddenly Skinny from Target -they ROCK. Thanks for the tip, Katrina!) and an army green tunic/dress. In my mind, this was a flattering outfit and recently I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of it. I’ve worn it to appointments, meetings, my Anniversary date (first one since baby boy arrived) and to Rachael’s house for a party.

I probably would have continued wearing it, if not for this photo:

We’re pretending to be engaged. Don’t ask.

Um. That outfit? Not. Flattering. AT ALL.

Seeing that photo also coincided with a particularly indulgent week weekend of eating. Too many cups of coffee paired with too many donuts had edged out healthy foods for too long and I felt lousy.

Now, to top it off, I felt lousy about my appearance.

That party? Where the infamous photo was taken? That was a celebration of Rachael’s husband, Mark, having survived a horrific head-on collision. Earlier that week when she was stealthily planning the shindig, she mentioned something that one of Mark’s doctors had told her.  The doctor credited the success of his surgery and recovery to the fact that he was fit and healthy at the time of his accident.

So, in the course of a just a few days these puzzle pieces floated into place for me…feeling crummy, looking not-awesome and realizing the serious health implications of the habits I’ve fallen into, post-baby. It was high time I got my butt in gear and lose this baby weight. Well, not just lose weight, but to get healthy.

I’ve lost weight before. Twenty pounds in the spring of 2010. Two days after I reached my goal weight, I saw two little pink lines that told me baby boy was on the way!

I learned a lot last time. Mostly that it took A LOT longer than I expected. So, I’m going to write here about healthy living each week (Rachael has already challenged me to go gluten-free for one week) to keep myself on track. I’ve heard that if you want to stick with a goal, you should tell a friend. So I’m telling all of you. 🙂

Here are the stats, to keep me honest…

Starting Weight: 195.5 lbs

Goal Weight: 165 lbs

Now, I realize “health” is about more than just weight, but a big part of this goal is that I want to be categorized as healthy on the BMI scale. (I’m six-feet-tall, in case those stats seem wonky.)

I’d also like arms like Michelle Obama. I’m going to get on that.

See you next week!

1. Pingback: Healthy Living for Mom: Have a plan! « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

2. Pingback: TodaysMama | Blog | Healthy Living for Mom: One Change at a Time

3. Anastasia B 09/06/2011 at 3:36 pm

That’s exciting, I’ll be cheering for you too! I have to admit I have it easier than most people when it comes to staying in shape. But guess what, I have to attribute that mostly to the fact that I eat REAL food. So if I give you one piece of advice, it’s sticking not to diet food (with all kids of additives and substitutes), but real foods with the healthy kind of fats (coconut, avocado, olive oil). I just recently read a really good article by one of my favorite food bloggers on this subject: http://bit.ly/rcgfAc

4. Erica 09/02/2011 at 12:38 pm

So excited for you! Yoga is a great activity–you’ll see a big change in your body shape and it’s the perfect mental cleansing for a mama of two young kids. I thought it was also helpful for balancing my body, after feeling lopsided from carrying a baby on my left side for so long.

• Erin Oltmanns 09/14/2011 at 9:26 pm

I tried yoga about 10 years ago and hated it! I just could get excited about the whole “zen” aspect. I wanted to kick-box. Now…oh, sweet quiet yoga…I can’t wait to try you out again. 🙂

5. Carrie Finlinson 08/31/2011 at 10:28 pm

Oh I love this! So so honest! You are right that the key is finding a rhythm of eating and exercise that is a lifestyle. When we become mothers, we are forced to reinvent ourselves. What worked before, doesn’t work now–and it takes time to discover a new path. Best of luck to you in your journey! Nothing like an audience to motivate you–just remember it is a loving audience!

• Erin Oltmanns 09/01/2011 at 9:31 pm

Thank you! You are right about having to find a new path as a mother…my daughter weighs 40 lbs…maybe I’ll start giving her piggyback rides up the stairs. 🙂

6. Holly Berry 08/31/2011 at 11:22 am

Best of luck! The hardest part is always keeping it off. I am pretty close to your stats: 5′ 9″, 195lbs at 5 months pregnant…started at 185. I’ve been working out regularly for 3 years and had my first child in june, 2010. It was easy to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight after the first, but I’ve never been able to get past 175lbs! My body plateaus right there and won’t budge!
    Also, to get Michelle Obama arms start doing lots of lateral raises to build the delts!

• Erin Oltmanns 09/01/2011 at 9:27 pm

The last time I lost weight, my goal was to get to 175. As got to 178 or so, those last 3 pounds were BRUTAL. They didn’t want to budge! I’m hoping I can cruise past 175 by trying some different activities, like yoga. Thanks for the luck, I need it!

7. Allison Y. 08/31/2011 at 10:13 am

I’ll be following along too! In January of this year, five years after my twins were born, I finally decided enough was enough. I’ve lost about 55 pounds since January, and I feel leaps and bounds better! I did Weight Watchers online and just started being more active, walking the dog, etc. I still want to lose about 20 more (I’m at 180 now) so I’m sure your posts will help me continue to move along. Good luck!

• Allison Y. 08/31/2011 at 10:15 am

That is so weird, why is the CEO of one of the companies I work for showing up as my icon? LOL, ignore that picture!!

• Erin Oltmanns 09/01/2011 at 9:29 pm

Congratulations, Allison! I need to get some tips from you!

8. sally cavenaugh 08/31/2011 at 9:12 am

Hey Erin,

I love that you are focused on eating healthy and getting in shape. I think I can help, if you are interested in trying something new. It is not a weight loss product but works great with someone trying to loose weight. It is a Glutathione supplement that mobilizes the toxins in your body and exports them out so you can work on exporting the fat and losing weight. Once the toxins are removed, then the fat can leave your body easier. I am a thyroid cancer survivor and have always worried about gaining weight. The Max products give me more energy, I sleep less and have more quality sleep, less aches, I lost weight, Max GXL makes me feel like I am living the best day of my life – every day and give me more mental clarity like I could ride the titan roller coaster at six flags. I take Max GXL twice a day and love it and that is why I felt compelled to share this everyone it can help. Why not give it a try? You can call me at 214-507-2872 or check out my website at http://www.stayyoung.max.com. I would love to see what you think after 30 days and 60 days on Max. For me, it has been life changing for the best. Thanks for your time.

Sally
    214-507-2872

• Erin Oltmanns 08/31/2011 at 9:32 am

Sally-Thanks for reaching out! I’m pretty committed to doing this in a way I can sustain long-term. Good food and lots of activity with the kiddos!

9. CoolPlaygroundMommy 08/31/2011 at 8:47 am

Good luck to you! I think you look fab. Our youngest turned three recently and I told my work peer that after losing 15 lbs, I’m now at the same weight one year after having a baby. So frustrating!!!! I’ll be cheering you on.

• Erin Oltmanns 08/31/2011 at 9:33 am

Thank you! I need all the motivation I can get…darn Krispy Kreme and their drive-thru window!