Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

What’s Your Tooth Fairy Like?

My oldest lost his first tooth a year ago: front and center. The tooth fairy left him a dollar under his pillow. I admit it, it seemed a little rich to me. A whole dollar? How many teeth is he going to lose again? Is this going to drive us into the poor house? I think I remember 10 cents, or even a quarter under my pillow–that was enough to buy 23 Swedish fish at the corner pharmacy, plus tax.

My son has his four whole dollars from the tooth fairy on his dresser where they make him feel rich and powerful. He has more fun thinking of what he could buy than actually making us take him to buy anything. He also leaves the tooth fairy notes.

She wrote him one on the occasion of his first lost tooth and signed it with a wand. “That’s how you know it’s really from the tooth fairy,” the kid said in the morning. He wrote back this last time and asked if there were both girl and boy tooth fairies. She said “Yes!” and signed with a wand.

Tell me how your assigned tooth fairy works in your house. Does she leave notes? Cold, hard cash? If so, how much? Is she unionized? Is he a boy?

Tags: , , ,

1. Liss 03/14/2012 at 11:25 am

Our tooth fairy brings a quarter….and NOTHING if the tooth has a cavity (not a problem, yet….but just warning the kids ahead of time!) i figure the kids are little enough (6 and 4–the younger child managed to knock a tooth out when she was 3) to not know what their other friends are getting per tooth, but I feel like a quarter is more than enough…they are still excited to have her come! And she leaves a little “certificate” with the date on it and their name.

2. Teresa 06/25/2011 at 2:53 pm

Our tooth fairy is named “Fairy Faith”. I never leave a set amount, it is just the change from my purse. She comes through the window and leaves a trail of “fairy dust” (glitter) from the window sill to the bed. The fairy sprinkles the dust around the pillow as well. When they awake, I make a big deal about the fairy and her dust. When we clean it up and strip the bed, there is always a giggle when “mommy has to clean the bedding because the fairy was messy. She writes very tiny and leaves a “tiny” note.

3. Kalli 06/21/2011 at 5:11 pm

I haven’t decided how I really feel about things like the tooth fairy and Easter bunny and Santa. Sure, I guess it’s a part of childhood and all that stuff but man, talk about a let down when you find out the truth.

I still have a while to figure out the tooth fairy one, my kid is almost 3, which means unless he gets into a bar brawl at nursery we should be good for a few years.

4. Raejean Roberts 06/21/2011 at 4:47 pm

When our tooth fairy remembers, she leaves a dollar. None of the kids ever asked about writing a note; probably because she is so flaky!

5. Emily 06/20/2011 at 3:06 pm

Our tooth fairy experience started prematurely because our 3 year old had to have an injured tooth extracted. (Oh and if you ever need a good resource on taking care of kids’ teeth, this Mom’s Guide was very helpful to me during our crazy tooth experience!) We don’t make a huge deal about the tooth fairy. The kids pretty much know about the tooth fairy because of a Yo Gabba Gabba episode. My son put his tooth under his pillow and we left 2 gold dollar coins for him. Probably will do 4 quarters or 1 gold coin for future teeth.

6. Jeanne 06/20/2011 at 12:39 pm

Our tooth fairy leaves books. My oldest is 7 and has lost 12 of his teeth so far! He is also an avid reader so this is a prize that remains active in our house. The books cost more (this tooth fairy buys them ahead on sale though!) than leaving money probably would, but we get a lot of use out of books in our house!

7. Kerri 06/20/2011 at 12:31 pm

The tooth fairy leaves $3 a tooth at our house. My daughter thinks this is great. Although she has told me on occasion that some other kids in school get $5 to $20 at tooth. What is that about?! We got 25 to 50 cents when I was growing up. Luckily my daughter is happy with what she gets, she saves it up to buy something she wants.

8. Tamara 06/20/2011 at 12:23 pm

We have had an interesting time with the Tooth Fairy at our house! First my daughter wanted to keep her teeth and even wrote a note to the TF and after 3 teeth she finally decided to give them up. We had to make it special… a note, a picture of the TF visiting (Very cool and you can get them for free!), and 3 dollar bills – one for each tooth lost and 2 extra “gold coins” $1 coins just for finally giving them up. So yeah, we set the expectation high, LOL. She just lost another tooth and was hoping the TF would bring her another note but she just got $1… and was still totally satisfied.

9. Rachael 06/20/2011 at 8:02 am

The tooth fairy brings $1 to our house and he/she answers the notes that have been left in very tiny little hand writing. What we’ve found out so far is that there seem to be lots of tooth fairies, and that they are not allowed to share their magic dust (as my kids have requested to be left with some)

There are some tooth fairies in our neck of the woods that leave up to $20 a tooth! They are make our fairy look weak sauce. What’s up with that? 😉