Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

Why Is Baby Stuff So Ugly?

Why is all the baby stuff so ugly?

Really.

Why is it all so blooming ugly?

And the stuff that isn’t ugly is so expensive it’s more appropriate to frame it and set it in a shrine rather than having it out where some baby might spit up or poop on it.

Really Cute! So Expensive!

I went to three stores to look at crib sets, bouncy chairs, car seats, and other basic gear. Every single thing for girls is pink. Pink, pink, pink, pink, pink, pink, pink. Don’t like pink? TOO BAD! Want something that doesn’t scream boy or girl? TOO BAD. Honestly, one froggy onesie does not a wide alternative selection make. I just want something cute and modern. The worst? It’s better now than it was eight years ago when I shopped for my first child–that stuff was downright hideous.

What gives? Clearly the manufacturers are making things that they think people want to buy. (And apparently what you want to buy is PINK!) So I’m wondering if I’m the one who needs to relax. I don’t want to have an all-pink nursery, is that so wrong? Circus animals? Gingham? Awful patterns and stupid themes? Pastel everything? Babies can’t even see pastels. Would it kill manufacturers to make something cute AND affordable? The answer is yes; it would kill them all dead.

Pink AND Gingham!

I’m to the point where I’m going to be sewing most of the stuff in my baby’s room. I’ve even considered getting a glider and recovering it right away. Who buys a $300 glider and then immediately recovers it? Me, I guess.  Ugly chenille nast-o upholstery being the only alternative to some dingy, sage-y twill cover. Why can’t it just look good when I buy it? I could buy a really cute rocker/glider/recliner, and it would cost me the outstanding balance on my car. Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot, folks! What do people do who can’t sew?

Fugly

Gorgeous. And expeeeensive

Are you truly happy with your baby gear? Or did you just pick the best of the worst?

1. Alaskanexpat 02/28/2013 at 2:56 am

HOWL! I gave in, bought a bunch of white onesies and proceeded to dye them colors I like … no pink. Uhg. I may puke if I see any more pink. Whatever happened to green? Yellow? Orange? Blue that doesn’t have “Little Sex Machine” printed across the front??

2. Amanda 06/30/2012 at 3:03 pm

You are not crazy. It’s really disappointing what is out there. I don’t want to tell anyone the gender of my baby because I don’t want any pastel pink or blue in my house. I hope you have found some good alternatives out there, but I know it wasn’t in the baby section.

3. adrian 12/21/2011 at 10:02 am

I went for 101 Dalmations with my youngest who is now 13. I didn’t like the wimpy boy stuff they had back then either, but I loved the strong black/white/red palette of 101 Dalmations. I still have a quilt from back then that he has on his bed, so I guess it grew up with him.

4. jes 08/24/2011 at 8:28 am

You have totally put it perfectly. Babies don’t understand design, so why can’t we decorate their room in a way that reflects our style sensibilities…at least until they’re old enough to pick out their own paint colors. sigh.

5. Jenn Furber 05/13/2011 at 11:00 pm

I’ll never understand why the simple patterns/designs are so expensive but the yucky, busy patters are so much cheaper. I totally agree with this piece. Nice job.

6. sarah k. 05/12/2011 at 9:32 am

IKEA’s kid stuff is not that bad. It’s better than the crapola you find at the other big box stores, unless you have an aversion to wobbly. Linens, though, they’re OK.

7. Allison 05/11/2011 at 11:08 pm

Target’s Dwell Studio line is less offensive and pretty reasonable-at least the boy stuff is. I found a great chair on Craigslist then had it re-upholstered (sounds like you have the skills to do that yourself) The upholsterer converted it to a swivel rocker by adding an attachment to the base. A lot/most upholstered chairs with skirts can be converted that way.

• Carina Wytiaz 05/11/2011 at 11:13 pm

I love Target’s DwellStudio line! However, when I went into my local store they literally had two things. What happened to the rest of the line? I hope they’re not phasing it out. They even had a gorgeous crib (that’s since been discontinued.) I used DwellStudio sheets and linens for my last babe and they held up really well. Sadly, no car seats, bouncers, or any other gear that I need to replace.

8. Amelia Merritt 05/11/2011 at 9:25 am

When I was in between babies the best thing I did was buy a whole slew of Phillip Stark for Target baby stuff. But yeah, I agree there is a huge niche not being filled. I refinished a crib and a glider while I was preggers because cheap stuff is nasty. Sorry to see that hasn’t changed in 7 years.

9. Arlington Mama 05/11/2011 at 3:32 am

I couldn’t agree more. I made my sons’ bedding for that reason, and I hate our glider but couldn’t justify buying the one that I really liked. Ikea has some affordable and modern choices. I’ve also gotten furniture off of Craig’s List and painted it to fit what I want. But you’re right; it’s they don’t make it easy! This is the nursery that I ended up with for my third boy: http://arlingtonmama.blogspot.com/2010/12/nursery-sneak-peek.html