Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

Mother’s Day: Love It or Hate It?

In the past couple years I’ve heard more and more of my friends complaining that they hate Mother’s Day.

They say that the expectations are too high; they don’t like the way moms are glorified to an extent that makes being human AND a mom impossible. They don’t like the industry and marketing around the holiday. In churches and schools there are programs and prizes that seem to make the day more difficult instead of really celebrating Motherhood.

There’s even a realization that their own expectations are dashed when they’re still doing all the cooking, cleaning, wiping, stocking, and fight-breaking on Mother’s Day, just like every other day.

I’m not sure I agree.

I admit it: I take Mother’s Day with a big pat on the back. So what if we work our tails off all year and get one measly day as recognition. So what if there have been so many other “appreciation days” that Mother’s Day seems to swim in a sea of other days. I like the stupid crafts the kids make at school (yes, I want to throw them away immediately, but don’t.) I like the sermons at church and the little gift moms usually get from the congregation. I like that my kids and spouse try to make the day special; I get to sleep in, take a nap, and not actually do a lot of mothering on that day.

Do they miss the mark? Of course. Do I take what I can get, you bet.

What about you? Is Mother’s Day just another stupid day or do you happily take the veneration in stride?

1. Jeanne 05/10/2011 at 9:36 pm

You put it into words so well! I too had to set the agenda for the day, only then did I get the kind of day I really wanted! But my family spent the day together, had some new experiences and finished with a great meal that I picked out and made happen. (Still haven’t gotten my gift yet…Dad keeps saying that it is coming…but the kids made cards for me)

However, the mother’s day cards for my mom and his mom are still on my kitchen counter. My mom is visiting us on Thursday, so she will get hers in person, and his mom’s package is waiting on some pictures we took. So I guess we are disappointing to our mother’s as well!

2. Vicki 05/09/2011 at 10:41 pm

I loved Mother’s Day. I got to sleep in a bit before running some errands. Then we took our daughter to the Rose Garden and park across the street from the rose garden for a while. Then went to pick up the two Grandmas and went to Scott’s Seafood and Grille in Oakland. We had a really nice dinner with appetizers, entree, and dessert. We went back and dropped off everyone and went to sleep. Other than the weather being cold and windy, it was a very nice day!

3. Heather 05/09/2011 at 6:40 pm

I totally agree with you. I think it’s really sad that some people feel this way. Really? I think they are reading way too much into it. Why can’t we just take it as it is – a day to honor mothers, show our love and appreciation for all that they do? I mean, then why celebrate any holiday then? Because there’s one day a year with “too much emphasis” on whatever is is? Lighten up people and enjoy it! I for one love the little details of the day! Getting to sleep in, having breakfast made, the handmade cards from the kids, relaxing and reading a book (even though I still helped out) why can’t we take the day to feel special? Let our families show it? I do the same for my husband on Father’s Day, it’s fun!!

4. Laura 05/09/2011 at 5:05 pm

Sadly, my Mother’s Day was another disappointment of Mom doing all the mothering and Dad doing what dad wants. Did I just find a bad egg or is there something I am doing wrong in having expectations of a better parent and sharing the parenting? I don’t have the answer.

5. Ellie 05/09/2011 at 2:42 pm

Well – my beautiful Mother celebrated her 86th healthy year on Friday before Mother’s Day Sunday. On Saturday ,she fell and broke her leg just below the hip socket and on Mother’s Day she had surgery to repair the fracture. So needless to say, it wasn’t what we had planned for that day! The surgery went great and now we’re starting the long road to recovery. My sisters and I joked that when people asked us what we did on Mother’s day, we’d tell them we spent it with our Mom -duh! What else would we do? Lol-we’d just omit the fall/hospital/surgery thing! We’re lucky it wasn’t worse and she’s here to celebrate next year’s Mother’s day!

6. Carmen 05/09/2011 at 12:57 pm

I like having a day- but I have two sons and a husband so sadly I expect very little.
    What I do do is get myself exactly what I want, or tell them what I want.
    I am never disappointed that way. This year I wanted a pink iPod nano to take on my runs and to spend the day at the dog beach after church with my family and sushi for lunch. Unfortunately it rained at the DelMar dog beach so we left but I can’t complain. I got everything I wanted because I set the agenda!

7. Arlington Mama 05/05/2011 at 11:31 am

I couldn’t agree more. I think that we set ourselves up for disappointment when we make the bar too high for our families to reach. Having three kids under 5, I can’t expect to not have to “work” on Mother’s Day. But my hubby does a great job of doing all he can to make me feel loved and appreciated, and that’s more than enough.

8. Erica Fehrman 05/03/2011 at 1:32 pm

I like Mother’s Day and my husband is pretty good at keeping it fun and relaxing. It does get a little dicey to maintain my own sense of motherhood while also celebrating my mom and MIL, who don’t live nearby and thereby require saying, “no we’re not visiting” or “come here for the weekend.”

9. Sisifo 05/03/2011 at 8:58 am

I don’t expect much on Mother’s Day because my husband works just as hard at keeping our house clean, our kids alive, and our family happy. But last year when he forgot all about it, I was kind of hurt. I don’t want breakfast in bed or the newest KitchenAid mixer, but I’d rather someone in my family be the first one to say, “Happy Mother’s Day!” to me.