Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

What’s In Your Easter Basket?

I hate jelly beans.

They’re gross. However, I buy them anyway because it seems like you can’t have an Easter basket without jelly beans. Peeps fall into the same category: gross, seriously gross, but it’s not an Easter basket without those colored sugar-covered marshmallows. I full-on admit I buy jelly beans and Peeps because I am not tempted in the least to eat them.
I can’t bring myself to buy the creme eggs, either. Eww. The Cadbury mini-eggs? Those are harder to avoid. There may be a bag underneath my pillow in my bedroom. Shut up. I’m pregnant. No one will find them there. I live in a hostile state.

Peanut butter eggs make the cut, and so do Lindt chocolate bunnies. Robin’s eggs go in (if only for the lipstick factor.) A variety of gummy candies are also in the bottom of the big bag in my craft closet.

This year we went to a thrift store to pick up Easter baskets. I tried to get my boys to pick actual wicker baskets, but they were enticed by the bright pink and purple plastic baskets–exactly what they would’ve picked had we been inside a retail shop. At least we’re re-using. No stuffed animals this year; at 7 and 4 I think they’re over the animals.

Each basket gets a new book, which almost outed me. A couple week’s ago my oldest accused me of being the Easter Bunny because “there’s always a book in our basket and YOU LOVE BOOKS.” I didn’t know it was an identifying characteristic, dude.

Hit me with what the Easter Bunny stashes in your baskets–I’m looking for a few new ideas that aren’t sugar and sugar-related.

Tags: , , ,

1. rynell 04/25/2011 at 2:08 pm

I put swimsuits in Easter baskets. I figure the kids will need them soon enough. Also, art supplies — watercolors, modeling clay and pencils. All our Easter candy was chocolate this year. I felt really good about that.

2. allie 04/22/2011 at 3:49 am

we live on an island so we usually do beach bags. they each get a new towel, sunglasses, sunscreen, and some small beach toy. before we moved we lived on a farm so we did gardening baskets with tools, a couple of plants and seeds

3. CoolPlaygroundMommy 04/20/2011 at 1:09 pm

@Erica – I LOVE Cadbury eggs too. What a dream to visit the factory!!! Soo cool!
    I’m reading the prior comments, I think bubbles & chalk are a GREAT idea!

4. CoolPlaygroundMommy 04/20/2011 at 1:08 pm

Great blog which had me laughing! I hate jellybeans and marshmallow anything too!!!
    This year, I got my girls (ages 2 & 7) non chocolate items (for fear they might melt under the sun while waiting to be found) and inexpensive toys from our local drugstore. I got them these chicks that chirp, an Easter themed toy camera, gum, and a lollipop. For their egghunt, I got them bunnyshaped gummies.
    Happy Easter!

5. Sisifo 04/19/2011 at 12:18 pm

My girls get stuffed bunnies (the old ones are used either for decor or go to the DI) and bunny ears (because we seem to destroy them before the next year.) And I found some cute fairy/butterfly wings at the dollar store so they can be Easter fairies. My mom always put money in ours so the girls will be getting 3 dimes to represent the 30 pieces of silver Judas sold Jesus out for. One egg will be empty (for the tomb) and so on and so forth.

On, you mean in my basket? Cadbury eggs and tons of chocolate. And maybe a package of Snickers eggs, just for good measure…

6. Zina 04/19/2011 at 9:29 am

This year I have dollar store sidewalk chalk, bug nets, and bubble solution. We often have plush toys since all the kids but my oldest still do play with them (they set up elaborate plush communities with shops and homes) and yes, books. I might put in the dollhouse washer/dryer set I stashed at Christmas. Oh, and some more play food to go with the play kitchen they got for Christmas, also already stashed. This year I’m doing one shared basket of toys for the kids & hoping they’ll be satisfied with it (they’ll get their own candy in their own baskets).

Years ago we got permission from the Easter Bunny to always do the Easter baskets ourselves, which makes things just a little easier for us as far as secret-keeping goes.

7. Jenny 04/19/2011 at 9:22 am

We like to do springtime things like chalk and bubbles or a kite. This year we are putting the stuff they need to survive a drive to California in their Easter baskets, since that’s what we’re doing on Easter.

8. Anne 04/19/2011 at 8:48 am

This year the easter bunny is bringing toothbrushes! It’s been about 3 months since their dentist visit, and some of my kids brush hard so theirs are getting worn out!

9. Michelle Krisik 04/19/2011 at 8:43 am

My kids do get sweets, but I’m cutting the amount down. And this year I’m going to be putting their Easter goodies in a bookbag (I got them on clearance!!) This way my daughter (7) will have a new bookbag for school, and my son will have a nice overnite bag (4).

10. melanie l 04/19/2011 at 8:20 am

we dont do candy, so our almost three year old gets ok’d snacks in plastic eggs, fruit roll ups, favorite all natural cookies in lunch sized bag, book, socks, toy, puzzle, $1 puzzle from target, beading kit from Joannes or inexpensive project.

11. Rachael Herrscher 04/19/2011 at 7:29 am

We have done fruit and cheese baskets! (well I guess that what we just did for each other, not the kids) But I’m down with my little Easter harvest of healthy.

12. Erica Fehrman 04/19/2011 at 5:25 am

OMG, I love Creme Eggs! During study abroad I went to the Cadbury factory in England and got a giant bag of 2 dozen reject eggs. MMMM.

Non-candy basket fillers: Each kid is getting a wooden toy from IKEA. My 1yo is getting a plush duck and my 4yo is getting new watercolor paints and new markers.

Not sure if they still have them, but a few years ago Costco had these adorable plush-covered kids Bibles. So, so cute for Easter.