Carina has been typing on the internets before there was a www in front of everything. This is why she’s cranky and wants to know when you’ll get off her lawn. She resides in a hopelessly outdated home in the Mountain West with a mathematician and three children hell-bent on destruction. Her laundry is not done, but her Twitter is totally up to date. Carina does not have a Tumblr, because get serious.

Old People Music?

It’s the summer of 1985 and my family driving down the freeway in Nevada on the way to California. From what I can remember, the old car does not have air conditioning, and it feels darker inside the car than it probably is. A song comes on the AM radio (oh yeah, AM radio!) My father, whom I have never heard play anything except classical music, hums a little with the song–a Carpenters record. “You know,” he muses wistfully, “She was an alto who sang like a soprano.” To this day, whenever I hear a Carpenters’ song, I think of it as the only pop music my dad ever liked.

I wonder what my kids will remember me listening to (probably a ridiculous amount of Lady Gaga.) I laugh a little when I realize that my kids will think of Lady Gaga as “old people music” someday. All these cool, hip bands will be about as cool and hip to our kids as Chicago and the Bay City Rollers are to us.

Foo Fighters

Think about it–it’s been twenty years since Nirvana’s Nevermind was released. Twenty. You’re old now. A week ago I was watching the Foo Fighters perform on Austin City Limits. Today ACL has The National and Band of Horses. Back in the day ACL had weird old 60s and 70s bands. I guess my kids would look at the Foo Fighters as some weird old 90s band. Whatever music you identify with being cool and on the edge will someday be regarded as old fashioned–straight up Kajagoogoo.

Are you prepared that you’re already listening to old people music?

1. Michelle Powell 05/25/2011 at 5:56 pm

I really think that our “mom music” is WAY cooler than the “mom music” our moms listened to!

2. Jill 04/11/2011 at 12:22 pm

Since I primarily listen to metal/black metal…I’d HARDLY call my music choices “old”! 😀

• Jill 04/18/2011 at 1:12 pm

Just to add, I’m not a parent yet (few years down the road though), but wanted to answer the question.

3. sara 04/04/2011 at 10:08 pm

I do think about this from time to time. But then recently the 18-yr-old across the street left his punk mix CD in my car (because he had gone snowboarding with my 37-yr-old husband & several others for a church youth trip), and I was delighted that it had a couple of gems from 1996’ish mixed in with the newer stuff. Made me feel better. And I know other present-day teens who like Nirvana, too. (So basically, I continue to be in denial.)

4. Erica Fehrman 04/04/2011 at 8:05 pm

My parents listened to a lot of country music. Last week I randomly started singing the Oakridge Boys “Elvira.” That is childhood to me. My mom likes beats though, so she would turn up Eric Clapton’s “Cocaine” really loud in the car. In high school I finally understood the words and was like, “Mom, do you know what you’re listening to?”

If my kids tell me that Radiohead is lame I’ll make them listen to Rush Limbaugh as punishment.

5. Raejean 04/04/2011 at 1:37 pm

When I was a kid in the 70’s, my mom listened to the oldies. I liked it then and I like it now, but it makes me feel older than my actual age when my kids don’t recognize the Beach Boys song I’m singing.

6. Cecily R 04/04/2011 at 1:32 pm

A few months ago I heard U2 on a classic rock station. I think I gained a few wrinkles and about ten gray hairs right there and then.

7. Rachael Herrscher 04/04/2011 at 7:58 am

I’ve often wondered if Dave Matthews Band is to my kids, what Neil Diamond was to me with regard to my parents music!