With the early spring drab weather setting a gray mood, I decided that my family really needed a party to lift our spirits. What better excuse than St. Patrick’s Day! This wasn’t a big holiday growing up, but when I moved to New Haven, Connecticut, it became one of my favorite holidays. Like many cities, New Haven boasts a great parade. Even cooler was that it doesn’t have an open container law (Irish coffee while watching a parade in the cold is awesome!) and the Irish pubs pull out all the stops with corned beef and bagpipes post-parade.
Now that we have kids we won’t be part of the parade’s party crowd, and the town we live in now is a little more tame anyway. Here are some ideas and recipes I pulled together for our family-friendly get-together.
I am not about green beer. Go authentic instead. And please make sure you don’t drive yourself or your family while buzzed or drunk.
- Whiskey: Jameson, Bailey’s Irish Cream (there are also lots of excellent Bailey’s recipes)
- I’ll also make a non-alcoholic concoction of ginger-ale and limeade with slices of lime floating in the drink dispenser.
How to toast: Sláinte (meaning “health”); click here for the pronunciation.
- Corned Beef Sandwiches
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Bangers & Mash
- Extras like chips (excuse me, “crisps”), veggies & fruit
- A plate of Kerrygold cheese & crackers
- Rainbow Glazed Donuts (to save time I’ll buy donuts & then add the colors)
- Chocolate & Guinness Brownies
- Buy a bag of gold foil-covered chocolate coins to scatter around the tables or to display in a bowl
- Wear something green
- Potted clover
- Green flowers and tall grass in vases
- Green glass candle votives
- Green table cloths
- A husband with a flaming red leprechaun beard is helpful.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! As the Irish say…
Here’s to your coffin….
May it be built of 100 year old oaks which I will plant tomorrow
Tags: bangers and mash, corned beef sandwhich, family st. patrick's day, family st. patrick's party, Featured, guinness brownies, irish toast, new haven, new haven parade, rainbow donuts, rainbow doughnuts, shepherd's pie, slainte, st. patrick's beer, st. patrick's day party, st. patrick's dessert, st. patrick's dinner, st. patrick's recipes