Mama of 3. Founder of TodaysMama.com and Click Retreat, a photography and social media retreat for bloggers. TEDx: What?

Post Pictures of Your Kids Online? WATCH THIS

Most cameras (especially the ones on our phones) have geotagging and targeting on them. Which means that along with the photo, your camera records your exact location on the earth when your photo is taken. So what happens when you post those photos online?

Check out this clip:

Technology is awesome. But we need to be smart. And even more, if you’ve got kids on Facebook or engaging online, they need to know this too. I tell parents all of the time to “BE WHERE YOUR KIDS ARE!”. So if you’ve been avoiding Facebook (and I know many people who are) it’s time you set up an account so you know how it works. I’ve seen too many teenagers with their cell phones, addresses and photos available on Facebook to the general public because they don’t know enough to set up their privacy settings appropriately.

Here is a great post about Facebook privacy settings: How to Go Completely Invisible on Facebook

Scary stuff – but as with everything else – information is power. Make sure you understand how to keep your information and YOUR KID’S information safe.

And yes . . . my mom sent me this video.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Pingback: Rachael’s 2011 Recap « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

2. Pingback: Post Pictures of Your Kids Online? WATCH THIS | RachaelH.com

3. Pingback: Welcome | RachaelH.com

4. Pingback: TodaysMama | Blog | Should students be suspended over Facebook?

5. Heather M 05/04/2011 at 7:58 am

I am following you on facebook!

6. Denise 04/05/2011 at 8:20 pm

Great post. I don’t post photos of my kids online or only partial shots of them, but I love the idea of turning off location! Thanks for sharing, I posted for friends on FB as well.

7. Texan Mama 04/04/2011 at 3:39 pm

I don’t take photos with my phone (it’s super low-tech and I have a nice camera that I use more often). So, I’m wondering, should I still worry?

I mean, I *DO* post pictures of my kids online, but if someone wants to find me they will do it whether I post pictures of my kids online or not. The likelihood of someone hunting me down for my children, based on information gleaned from the internet, is very very VERY low. Not impossible, but pretty low.

8. Anne 04/01/2011 at 11:28 pm

Such an important reminder – and a tough line to walk for bloggers between being “public” enough to engage honestly and private enough to protect their families. Thanks for sharing the info!

9. Andrea 03/31/2011 at 12:59 pm

This story is great to be aware of but I have no clue on how to see if my photos are traceable like that. Good info but I don’t think it will be as helpful as I had hoped.

Thanks anyway!!

10. @PamelaMKramer - A Renaissance Woman 03/31/2011 at 12:22 pm

WOW!!! Change the settings! STAT

11. Becky 03/31/2011 at 11:51 am

Good info. Thanks!

12. Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) 03/31/2011 at 11:49 am

THANKS so much for this info! I will post about it too!!!

13. Laura 03/31/2011 at 11:29 am

Good information to keep in mind. I don’t use my cell phone for pictures, but I do think once my kids are online and on facebook I will monitor their accounts and make them very private. I have seen a lot of teenagers from church and elsewhere that have their accounts set to see everything even when I am not their friend.

14. Julie {Angry Julie Monday} 03/31/2011 at 10:01 am

I have all my GPS settings turned off on my iPhone and my SLR for photos. But PLEASE do not turn off the GPS on your actual phone. If something ever happens and the police need to look for you, they need to be able to PING your phone for location.

• Rachael Herrscher 03/31/2011 at 10:04 am

Such a good point! So many options on the Location Settings – good to remember to keep that one on!

And when do I get to see you again? 😉 Maybe I need to learn more about this online GPS photo stalking . . .

15. Ellen Rowan (zaellen) 03/31/2011 at 9:48 am

Funny…my mom sent this to me too! I agree about being where your kids are. Awesome to have instructions for facebook for people who don’t live and breath it for work or play. My daughter is 11 and her dad and I agreed that she can wait till she is 13. I am so surprise at the amount of 8-11 year olds I’m friends with on facebook. I hope their parents know and have helped them with their settings. I had to tell one of my daughter’s friends to take her cell phone # off her info page recently…wow. Thanks for posting the video and info!