Mama of 3. Founder of TodaysMama.com and Click Retreat, a photography and social media retreat for bloggers. TEDx: What?

No Soup For You

I got a note home from school that let me know that we had $2.15 due in lunch money and that as a result my 2nd grader was served a “partial” lunch.

So I’m thinking – water instead of juice? No dessert? No free pass to the salad bar? I asked him what his “partial lunch” consisted of, and he said: “a bun”.

I laughed. “C’mon buddy – what did you get for lunch?”

“No really mom, it was a bun.”

“Nothing else?”

“Nothing else.”

I laughed a little. And to reinforce my parental duties I said – “Well I guess that’s what we get for being late on lunch money. Sorry buddy, that’s mom’s fault.”

And as soon as he was out of earshot, my husband heard a string of profanities that ended in “bun”. Heck – I would have rather had them give him a single carrot. He would have got more out of it.

Well played lunch lady. Well played. But we’ll get you next time! I’m sending $25 in pennies . . .

And for your midweek enjoyment, and in memory of our lost sloppy joe, I couldn’t help but include:

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Ana Connery 02/06/2014 at 10:36 am

Great post…ridiculous policies like these don’t benefit our kids…they hurt them

2. Marlyn 03/08/2011 at 11:36 pm

I’m so surprised that people get angry when they don’t send lunch money. The tax payers would have to fit the
    bill. It isn’t just one or two children that owe money.
    If people want the tax payer to cover lunch— then I guess we will just need to have another tax raise. The school can’t pay all the tabs! Come on parents take responsibilty don’t blame the school or principal. It seems cruel but each child adds up. If you’d like to help out and pay for children— Please send a regular check to the schools because some parents don’t pay on a
    regular bases. Someone has to do it. Get your check books out–if you don’t want this to ever happen– donations will be taken at your local schools.

3. Marlyn Barnes 03/08/2011 at 11:23 pm

Fun— but remember it was your error and I think your alittle angry with the lunch lady. I’m a school lunch Manager and believe my ladies work harder then most people and it is a thankless job!!

4. LUNCH LADY 03/08/2011 at 6:26 am

There is not a single lunch lady in my district that looks like that picture. We come to work early everyday to prepare healthy breakfasts, lunches & snacks for your children that we love.
    So if you want to post a bad a** picture maybe it should be of your, superintendent, because in our district it is he that makes the policy of what to feed a child when their account is empty. And that is, in our district a peanut butter & jelly sandwich and a milk, and who pays for that The Child Nutrition program eats the cost. The point here is not the bad bun it is parents being responsible so your child is not embarrassed because there was no money for lunch today.

5. sherrie 03/07/2011 at 4:43 pm

Well in defence of all us lunch ladies, it was the mom (Rachael)that dropped the ball here!! If you went to McDonalds you wouldnt even get a bun w/o paying for it. Lunch is not free even if it is a school lunch some one pays for the bun! If there is no money in the account we are not responsible to feed the student until there is. Thank them that he at least got a bun. And yes there has been many a time in my 20 years of working as a lunch lady that I have paid for several lunches so a child didn’t go hungry because the parent was not responsible.

6. cindy 03/07/2011 at 3:49 pm

Well first off I am a lunch lady in a senior high school. Second did you call the school and hear their side(two sides to each story)If a child has no money we offer a cheese sandwich and a milk. This meal has three food components that the government requires..grain in the bread, dairy from the milk and protein from the cheese. Parents should keep an eye on their kids accounts. There have been many times we lunch ladies feel bad and pay for these children’s lunches and never got a thank you from the parents. Parents either pack your child’s lunch for them or put money in their account and keep an eye on their account. Don’t let it up to the child. Parents make sure they have money to eat at their job or they pack their own lunch…do it for your child, it’s not up to the lunch lady to be your child’s parent! Always two sides to a story, hear them both.

7. Laura 03/04/2011 at 10:14 am

That is horrible & crazy!

8. Carina Wytiaz 03/03/2011 at 4:03 pm

This is so nuts.

Almost as nuts as my kid throwing his brown bag lunch away and using the “emergency” credits I put into his lunch fund.

That was a good day for him.

9. Tracy D 03/03/2011 at 3:56 pm

Wow. What a coincidence this post showed up today. I got a phone call from my boys’ school. Their lunch accounts are negative $70.00!!! My older son wasn’t bringing home the reminder notices to put more money in their accounts. I’m glad they were still fed a full lunch! I can’t believe that lunch lady did that to your child. What the heck is the matter with her?

10. SHAWNA GREENWAY 03/03/2011 at 3:12 pm

Good for you for waiting til your son was out of the room before the curse words flew out of your mouth! My daughter goes to a school that doesn’t have a cafeteria so everyone brings lunch or they pay $5 a day to have a catered lunch from an outside company (which I think is RIDICULOUS). Thankfully, the catering company brings extra in case someone forgets their lunch – even for the brown baggers!

I hope you’re writing a nasty letter to the principal!

11. Belle 03/03/2011 at 8:26 am

Seriously? I so hope you had words with the school administration………..so so wrong! And a bun?? Could they not hand out an apple instead? (#*&$(*#&&(*##

My son has taught special ed for 10+ years. He spends hundreds of his own dollars each year to keep healthy snacks and extras in his classroom for his kids who might otherwise be hungry.

Come on people!!

12. Jennifer Daniels 03/02/2011 at 8:22 pm

OMG! Lord Please Hold My Tongue! How in the world could some one deny a child a full lunch? Shame on them and our Country! Lord have Mercy ….I would have tore down the school…to put it mildly! !! 🙁

13. Raejean 03/02/2011 at 12:59 pm

My younger kids have gone to charter schools with no lunch programs. I had the opposite challenge when my children goofed around instead of making their lunch or left it on the counter, I wanted them to go without so they’d be more diligent. The teachers would raid the snack cupboard to keep them from going hungry, which my kids liked better than the lunch they would have had from home.

14. Laurie 03/02/2011 at 12:11 pm

Our schools have mostly free lunches, few, us among them pay for lunch. I find it really disgusting when the cheese sandwich is served, when most of the others dont pay for their lunch anyway.

15. Kim 03/02/2011 at 10:34 am

Love the sense of humor in this post. Our alternate lunch is cheese & crackers. And our lunches are $2.75 each. Talking to the lunch ladies at our school – those alternate lunches really work in getting parents to fund lunch accounts – but I agree with you a $%*& bun?? That is absurd.

16. Mina Frannea 03/02/2011 at 8:58 am

Sheesh-are they even allowed to do that?? Our school’s alternate lunch is a PB&J sandwich. (Since when does school lunch cost more than $2.00 anyway?)

17. Kim 03/02/2011 at 8:29 am

It really should be illegal to feed kids a bun for lunch at school. That lunch lady deserves some special treat. A flaming bag of something yummy on her doorstep perhaps? 😉