Erin is a mom of two and has been with Today’s Mama for ten years. She is charged with finding and sharing all of the wonderful things the web has to offer. She is particularly fond of food, photography, printables, and funny things. She writes about losing weight in her Healthy Living for Mom series, and is chronicling her attempt to master her DSLR camera with her series, Big Girl Camera.

Second Pregnancy Differences

I’m due with my second child, a baby boy, in less than a month. It’s almost comical how different things are this time around. Here’s a recap of my second pregnancy differences:

General Preparations

Baby #1: The nursery was completely set up, 2 months before my due date.

Baby #2: The new nursery will be in my current office…where I’m currently sitting, working at my computer. The pack-n-play is set up in my bedroom, where the kiddo will sleep for the first few weeks anyway, so what’s the rush?

The Birth Plan

Baby #1: I read, pondered, carefully drafted my plan in ink, reviewed it with my Doctor and tucked it into my hospital bag.

Baby #2: At no time in my life have I felt more comfortable asserting my wishes than in the throes of labor. “Sure, I’ll have that epidural now” will be an easy declarative statement.

Me, in December. No way do you get to see a current photo!

Giving Birth

Baby #1: For months, I was wholly consumed with the fact that I was going to have to get a baby out of my body. I was scared. I thought I would feel awful after giving birth and was in no rush to get the labor party started.

Baby #2: YAHOO. Let’s get this kid out so I will feel better and can get back to moving around without grunting or having to sit down to catch my breath.

Packing for the Hospital

Baby #1: Everything that any book ever recommended for baby was packed. I pretty much forgot that I needed to pack for myself.

Baby #2: I’ve already got my toiletries packed, complete with my favorite travel sized exfoliating cleanser, hand lotion, and shampoo. My fluffy robe and jammie pants are ready to go. The baby is also packed, albeit with A LOT less unnecessary crap. Oh, and I packed nail clippers so I can take care of the baby’s fingernails right away…no using the file for the first 6 weeks for this mom.

Music

Baby #1: I created the perfect playlist of songs to listen to while I labored. I considered the flow of the songs, the meaningful lyrics, the soothing melodies.

Baby #2: Turns out that what I want during a contraction is SILENCE. I’ve got Angry Birds on my iPhone for between contractions.

Doctor Visits

Baby #1: Every appointment included a detailed and lengthly Q & A session.

Baby #2: My insurance changed on January 1st and I had to find a new doctor. I’m cool with that. The new Doctor is great and I’m sure she’s a pro. (Besides, the people that made the biggest difference with labor and delivery #1—the NURSES.) I’ve heard the nurses at this hospital are fantastic.

Motherhood

Baby #1: I worried I wouldn’t enjoy motherhood, that the day to day grind of caring for young children would bore or frustrate me.

Baby #2: Turns out, I really, really, REALLY, enjoy my kiddo and being a mom. I can’t wait to meet this next bundle of awesome and complete our family.

1. A Morning Grouch 10/05/2013 at 7:15 pm

I love this! None of that complainy garbage about how much harder everything is for you – in fact, it sounds like the exact opposite. Lucky mama and lucky babies!

2. Pingback: Your Second Pregnancy Can Be More Thrilling Than Your First | MYHEALTHCAREBLOG.NET

3. Kathy 01/27/2012 at 11:46 am

I just found this, and I love it. So true!

4. Pingback: Crazy Baby Names « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

5. Anastasia B 05/11/2011 at 8:57 am

It is so different the second time around! The biggest difference is that you’ve been through it once and it isn’t so unknown anymore. This time I am going with a midwife and it is so nice to finally have someone on board that agrees with my birthing choices. With the first at the hospital I had to keep telling them non-stop all the things I do not want. This time I am not going to be bothered and can actually relax at a small birth center with a water birth.
    PS: We never had a nursery for the first, don’t have a kids room yet for our toddler and are in the process of remodeling our attic so we can move the office there and make a room for the kids, finally!

6. Cristina 02/14/2011 at 7:39 am

Glad I’m not the only one there with a baby due in five weeks and still working in my office – soon to be a baby room!

7. Mina Frannea 02/10/2011 at 1:45 pm

Angry Birds between contractions — HA HA HA!

8. beth 02/10/2011 at 8:45 am

After 3 pregnancies, I can tell you each was very different. Funny, how with experience, you pack smarter, respond differently (each time) and you are a lot calmer. You just KNOW everything will be just fine! Blessings to you and your little bundle(s).
    xo
    beth

9. BreAnne 02/09/2011 at 1:57 pm

Ahhh the difference a few years makes. A little older. A little wiser.

Can’t wait to meet the handsome little guy.

10. Mickele Mills 02/09/2011 at 11:32 am

Erin you are hilarious and so right on the money! You look great, you totally need to post more pics. K well I can’t wait to meet the little guy!

11. Erika Beckwith 02/09/2011 at 9:40 am

I love your post and it is right on point. I recently had #3 two years ago (this is after a 10 year break) so you can just imagine what the differences were. Packing days before going to the hospital? How about packing minutes before its time to go? Playlist…what’s that? But the end result…priceless (all 3). Wouldn’t change a thing. Enjoy your new addition!

12. Erica Fehrman 02/09/2011 at 7:42 am

You’re so cute! I miss seeing you in person. I loved listening to music but nixed the hyno-birthing CD the 2nd time around. Envisioning my aura changing through the colors of the rainbow didn’t do anything but tick me off.

13. Jen 02/09/2011 at 7:33 am

It is funny how things change! Although the 2nd time around I knew how painful labor was so I was not looking forward to that!

14. Carina Wytiaz 02/08/2011 at 11:57 pm

The playlist thing, that’s hilarious. I did the same thing. I got maybe two songs in and absolutely, positively, did not want to hear anything but silence.

• Erin Oltmanns 02/09/2011 at 11:33 am

My husband drove me to the hospital in his loud diesel truck…even that sound grated on my nerves until we arrived at the hospital.

15. Shannon 02/08/2011 at 11:09 pm

I loved this!! And you look GREAT!!

16. Becky 02/08/2011 at 4:51 pm

Oh you look so good right now I thought that was a current pic.
    I LOVED reading this. You are a fantastic mom! I can’t wait to meet #2!

17. Pingback: Tweets that mention TodaysMama | Blog | Second Pregnancy Differences -- Topsy.com

18. amyallenjohnson 02/08/2011 at 3:21 pm

You are so beautiful! love the shot and love that you shared it with us!