Erin is a mom of two and has been with Today’s Mama for ten years. She is charged with finding and sharing all of the wonderful things the web has to offer. She is particularly fond of food, photography, printables, and funny things. She writes about losing weight in her Healthy Living for Mom series, and is chronicling her attempt to master her DSLR camera with her series, Big Girl Camera.

The Great Granola Recipe

It’s hard to get all amped up for healthy living in the upcoming year when you are in your third trimester. Not because I don’t want to lose all the weight I’ve gained and be a lean mean mothering machine by this time next year, but folks, there’s a baby coming. As much as I’d like to pretend that I’ll be hitting the gym, the reality is that if free time arises, I’m likely to take a nap.

But even though I’m not dusting off my running shoes anytime soon, I am getting pretty focused on what my family will be eating after this baby arrives. One of the staples at my house is this homemade, healthy granola recipe that I’ve cobbled together over the years.

This granola recipe is wonderful with yogurt, on ice cream or by the handful. Enjoy!

Healthy granola recipe

Mmmmm….tasty healthy granola goodness!

HEALTHY GRANOLA RECIPE

Directions for granola:

Mix the following in a large bowl:

• 1/4 Cup Honey
  • 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Salt

When the ingredients above are well combined, add the following:

• 1 and 1/3 Cups Rolled Oats
  • 1/2 Cup Raw Sliced Almonds
  • 1/4 Cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
  • 1/4 Cup Raw Shelled Pumpkin Seeds
  • 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Coconut
  • 1 Tablespoon Wheat Bran

Stir the granola mixture well – make sure you don’t have a pool of liquid at the bottom of your bowl.  Transfer granola mixture to a greased (I use Canola Oil spray) cookie sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.  Remove the cookie sheet every 10 minutes and stir the mixture with a fork to ensure even browning/baking. This is important if you don’t want burnt granola!

Remove from oven when done and allow mixture to cool.  You can add 1/3 Cup dried fruit when cool.

Granola Recipe Notes:

• Any dried fruit will do. I like cranberries and chopped dried apricots. Rachael likes golden raisins.
  • You can substitute good maple syrup for honey.
  • You can add cinnamon to the wet mixture if you like, use 1/2 Teaspoon for this size batch. (The maple syrup/cinnamon combo is good stuff.)
  • You can swap out any of the nuts/seeds to your liking. Pecans are particularly great in this recipe. Just use a food processor to roughly chop the nuts before you use them.  Uncrushed they don’t bake thoroughly.
  • In Utah, many grocery stores carry a local brand called Nutty Guys. They are my favorite source for raw nuts/seeds. I usually stock up at their tent at the Downtown Farmers Market in SLC and I use their coconut chips exclusively for this recipe.

Other Healthy Recipes on TodaysMama:

Healthy Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Waffles

Make Your Own Kid Friendly Yogurt

DIY Baby Food

More Granola Recipes!

1. Leslie 11/11/2014 at 5:58 pm

How long will this granola last?

2. LINDA 03/28/2014 at 12:52 pm

CANNOT WAIT to try this recipe. Have been looking for a simple granola recipe. Thanks

3. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - SLC Staycation: Hotel Monaco

4. Pingback: Homemade Granola | Fit College Girl

5. Pingback: Tropical Muesli « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

6. Pingback: Pumpkin Waffles « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

7. Pingback: Winter Wonderland Homemade Granola YorkMama.com

8. Pingback: Make Eggnog Syrup « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

9. Pingback: Healthy Waffles Portland Mama

10. Pingback: Healthy Banana Bread DFW Mama

11. Pingback: Cinnamon Sugar French Toast Bites « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

12. Pingback: Best Granola Recipe TodaysMama

13. Pingback: Granola – A Favorite From a Local Bed and Breakfast « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

14. Jessica Villalobos-Sainsbury 01/31/2011 at 9:43 pm

The granola was great! Thanks for sharing 🙂 And by the way, happy birthday Rachael, you beautiful baking mama you!

15. josie milano 01/31/2011 at 7:29 pm

This looks so yummy!! I love Granola, it’s such an easy snack to grab and go!

• Erin Oltmanns 01/31/2011 at 8:55 pm

I can’t wait to try your Pumpkin Pie version…it sounds so delicious!

16. Carina Wytiaz 01/31/2011 at 4:39 pm

Plus, oatmeal is a natural milk stimulator! Great for new moms.

• Erin Oltmanns 01/31/2011 at 8:49 pm

I did not know that! Thanks, I’ll be sure and pack some for my hospital bag.

17. BreAnne 01/31/2011 at 1:36 pm

FINALLY! I have been waiting for you to share the love…

• Erin Oltmanns 01/31/2011 at 8:54 pm

Well, I had grand plans to sell it at the Downtown Farmers Market, but I’ve finally given up that dream, so I may as well share it with the world. 🙂

18. Emily Wignall 01/31/2011 at 1:14 pm

yummy! i just figured out how delicious granola can be with orange juice added. and, when I want to make my homemade granola a little healthier, i substitute agave nectar for the honey and brown sugar…
    also, i love your idea for adding pumpkin seeds.

• Erin Oltmanns 01/31/2011 at 8:53 pm

The pumpkin seeds are the best part! They puff up and get nice and crispy.

19. Rachael Herrscher 01/31/2011 at 10:13 am

And Erin! Look at your pretty picture! 😀 You are a professional food photographer!

• Erin Oltmanns 01/31/2011 at 8:50 pm

Oh jeeze! You should have seen my trying to position the napkin just so…then there was a whole attempt with a spoon…then a baby spoon…

20. Rachael Herrscher 01/31/2011 at 10:12 am

I just ate this for breakfast this morning. It is my FAVORITE!

21. Pingback: Tweets that mention TodaysMama | Blog | The Great Granola Recipe -- Topsy.com

22. Erica Fehrman 01/31/2011 at 8:50 am

YUM. I’m going to do this after I finish Wy’s birthday baking.

• Erin Oltmanns 01/31/2011 at 8:51 pm

You won’t be sorry! I bet your kids will like it, my girl loves the stuff.

23. Minette 01/31/2011 at 5:24 am

Erin, this sounds so yummy! I love how easy it is to make homemade granola and it keeps great. Love your combination. I like to make my mom’s recipe which is similar but uses maple syrup and olive oil. I can’t wait to try yours version!

• Erin Oltmanns 01/31/2011 at 8:52 pm

I would love to try a version with olive oil. I tried a recipe from Martha Stewart, but it had to cook too long and the oil burned and tasted awful!