Erica is a writer, editor, wife, and mom. She has always found employment with an English degree and she excels at nurturing children and animals but struggles to keep houseplants alive. Erica currently writes at SidewaysQ.com

11 Things I’m Going to Make Pretty

1. My fingernails, as in Stop Biting Them.  This could actually be 10 things, right?  This picture is called “shaming myself into resolution.”
  2. My office.  My FIL made this beautiful desk for us and we’ve done nothing to instill personality into this little office perch.  I say perch because it’s a dormer window and I like to pretend I’m a bird sitting in my nest, watching the neighborhood.
  3. The kitchen desk.  It is always FUBAR; a mess.  Don’t even get me started on the cabinet pulls and outlet covers.
  4. This blank wall in our front room.  The window naturally frames it, and from the outside it looks like no one lives here.  Well, it looks like someone swiped a paint sample on the wall and then moved away.
  5. The half-bath.  It needs a wall color.  What do you think?
  6. Displaying my photography.  I took a series of photos at the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, looking up at the glass ceiling where the Dale Chihuly glass sculpture “Fireworks” sits, and the pics are still just sitting in my computer.  I can do better.
  7. The grass.  It is eroding with the Bluegrass rains.  This is more of a project for my husband, but I’ll provide moral support, help spread fresh topsoil and move the sprinkler during the day.
  8. My muscles.  I’m too thin (don’t stick your tongue out at me) and need to gain some strength.  P90X?  Well, something.
  9. My heart.  I am terrible at spending time in the Bible, so I’ll start with the book of John and go as slowly as I need to go.
  10. My marriage.  I’m going to do one purposely thoughtful thing for my husband each week.  Suggesting sex counts.  Don’t laugh.  When was the last time you did that?
  11. My smile.  Meaning, I will smile more. Supposedly it’s contagious, and we could all use more smiles.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Pingback: TodaysMama | Blog | Resolution Progress

2. Pingback: TodaysMama | Blog | 2011 Health: Muscles, Colors, John & Roller Skates

3. Jenivere 01/10/2011 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Erica. I have to admit, that would be a very hefty list for someone like myself. I would be happy to even come up with a list:)

4. ANDREA LANIER 01/10/2011 at 10:15 am

Paint the bathroom a pretty barn red.
    Have fun !

5. Tara L 01/10/2011 at 8:44 am

Great list, and I sympathize with being too thin. I’ve been medically “underweight” my whole life and probably like you, got the sideways glances/whispers whenever the annual “body image session” was held in HS. Most people don’t realize we can get flabby too!! Good luck with your goals! I’m trying P90X also. Starting soon, really, I swear….

6. heather 01/07/2011 at 6:19 pm

Yay for pretty things. I’m all for your list and for starting my own.

7. Martina 01/07/2011 at 2:28 pm

Ditto! Love your list – am going to start with the “smile therapy” right away – it really helps I found in the past. And doing nice things for my very nice husband, yes, definitely! Sometimes, so much is going on that I take the people around me for granted and having read your list, I’ll vow to change it for the better. Other things I would like to work on this year: doing more publicity for my cute online store http://www.CreativeToyshop.com – I guess I just started 🙂 Thanks for the space and thanks for the list!

8. Pingback: Tweets that mention TodaysMama | Blog | 11 Things I'm Going to Make Pretty -- Topsy.com

9. Amy Allen Johnson 01/07/2011 at 11:20 am

LOVE IT! your list has inspired me. I’m starting with Spread Sunshine this year and I’ve already had to remind myself by the hour.. Thanks for sharing. PS I have a couple 16×20 frames in black I can send if that motivates printing a picture 🙂

10. Jody 01/07/2011 at 11:17 am

This is great! I miss you Erica!

11. Rachael Herrscher 01/06/2011 at 10:56 pm

Dig this post! Very creative take!

12. Shannon 01/06/2011 at 10:40 pm

I love this! I feel inspired, and I CERTAINLY have some things I could work on!

13. Jen 01/06/2011 at 9:24 pm

GrEaT PiTcH to get me interested in doing something totally print worthy this year!