Mama of 3. Founder of TodaysMama.com and Click Retreat, a photography and social media retreat for bloggers. TEDx: What?

How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies

My house is infested with fruit flies. Loads of them. That’s what I get for having kids who steal fruit from the neighboring orchard. A pox upon my house.

6 EASY WAYS TO GET RID OF FRUIT FLIES

Luckily, my sister in law sent me this . . .

I’m posting this straight out of an email my sister in law sent me . . . because it’s informative . . . and funny.

Editors Note: We are allowed to make polygamist jokes because we live in Utah. Even though most of them live over the border in Arizona. We are also allowed to abbreviate potty words in common general communication . . . because we live in Utah. (and because that way I can still post it on this family friendly web portal)

From Shellie:

I stole this photo off of her Facebook page . . . because it’s awesome.

Rachael,

Sup? So I have read many a ways to kill the effing fruit flies and I have tried a few but this is what has worked for me.

1. Take the garbage out every day. Yep it sucks but those flies multiply and replenish the earth faster than the polygamists do.

2. Don’t leave wet towels, wet sponges, dishes or children in the sink for longer than like an hour. Since I could care less if the dishes were done before I slept I would always leave them out. No bueno when it is fly season.

3. Pour bleach down your disposal. For some reason the flies like to mate in cold, dark, wet places. Who knew?

4. The flies are attracted to fermenting fruits/veggies. I try to keep all fruits and veggies in the fridge but if they are not supposed to go in the fridge (tomatoes, ripening peaches, garlic, onions, etc.) I try to keep them as dry as possible. No juices flowing out of any nook or cranny.

5. I have found three techniques that have worked to catch those mother effers

A.. Place a piece of fruit in the bottom of a glass or plastic jar. (Like the ones for jam). Cover the top with plastic wrap and secure with a rubber band around the top. VERY CAREFULLY poke a few holes in the plastic. NOT BIG ONES!!! The diameter of a round toothpick works well. Leave on the counter and watch. The flies are attracted to the fermenting not the sugar or fruity smell. They will fly to the jar and go through the holes. The can get in but they can’t figure out how to get back out. Stupid flies.
    B. Same as above except instead of fruit fill the jar 1/3 full with water and add soap so there are bubbles. You don’t have to put the plastic on because they are attracted to the smell so they fly to the bubbles and get caught in them when they land. Stupid Flies.
    C. Once again same as #1 but put vinegar in the jar. You will want to cover it with plastic wrap though. Stupid Flies.

6. Go Mister Miyaggi on their a$$’s and smack them right out of the air! I am actually pretty good at that one. I’ll be clapping all over in the kitchen killing them and my kids think I’m crazy.

Much Fruit Fly Killing Love,

Shellie

Editor’s Post Script

Take that stupid flies!

R.I.P.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Jodi 08/30/2012 at 12:42 pm

Funny!!!

We tried regular vinegar which didn’t work so well. Then we switched to cider vinegar and they all swarmed in and died!

2. lindseyjohnson 08/30/2012 at 11:23 am

This year I took the vinegar jar once step further by putting a piece of rotting fruit in the jar too. And do you know what happened? (You’re never gonna guess! Okay, you totally will.)

They laid eggs on the plum and then I had those disgusting larva swimming in the vinegar and working their way up the side of the jar. (My kids were fascinated, so bonus points for me and my accidental science fair project!) I put tape over the holes in the lid and caught those little wormy things and the ones that turned into flies fell back in and drowned.

Stupid flies indeed.

(And I’ve been dying to tell that story to someone, so thanks for posting this so I could.)

🙂

3. Cathy 10/03/2011 at 4:25 pm

I found out they get stuck in bottles when I left an almost empty bottle of red wine on the counter. There was just enough wine to catch the buggers. So cap your bottles if you have any out at dinner. Fruit flies and wine, not pleasant.

4. Theresa Preece 09/12/2011 at 11:34 am

bwahahahaa THAT IS AWESOME! 😀

5. Mina Frannea 09/12/2011 at 10:41 am

Great post! I’m still chuckling. 🙂 When we end up with fruit flies, it’s usually because of an over ripe banana or peaches. Peaches, for some reason, are the worst in attracting them. I’m going to have to try the jar tricks. Another one that works for us is using the vaccum hose to suck them up. Works like a charm!

6. Erin Zwahlen 09/12/2011 at 10:27 am

Great effing article, I now stand ready for the invasion.

7. Carrie 09/12/2011 at 10:03 am

Good post. But please don’t pour bleach down drain!!! It’s toxic, unhealthy, and contaminates our drinking water (plus should never be used by those with septic tanks). Use vinegar please!!

8. Pingback: How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies | RachaelH.com

9. Roxy Cross 02/24/2011 at 7:59 pm

OMG this is one of the funniest things I’ve read and I will attempt some of the above. And I’ll share my favorite way to capture/murdilate other bugs around my fabulous flower baskets.
    Pour beer into shallow lids and place them willy nilly about the plant area. Bugs, such as caterpillers, earwigs and flies are drawn to the stinky beer, fall in and drown. Stupid bugs. In the morning toss, rinse and refill. Beer as a bug catcher, works like a charm, without polluting the environment or your body.
    PS: Beer is available for purchase in the state of UT. Really.

• Rachael Herrscher 02/24/2011 at 9:35 pm

lol! Love that you stumbled upon this tonight!

10. Beckerlady 10/18/2010 at 11:25 am

So ironic that you just put this on the site… I JUST wrote a column about dealing with fruit flies. We ended up using a cup of red wine so the effin fruit flies at least got drunk before they died!

11. Jake Spurlock 10/13/2010 at 3:22 am

I love polygamist jokes.

And Sister Wives. I am hooked.

12. Emily 10/12/2010 at 9:21 pm

Thank you! The kids had a bowl of overripe peaches on the counter and we have been battling these buggers for over a week. We usually leave the central vac hose out and have at ’em after leaving a small amount of yogurt in a glass bowl on the counter. They love that stuff too. (We don’t suck up the yogurt, of course. That would be gross!)

13. Lill Hawkins 10/12/2010 at 9:16 pm

This is so funny, because we have a discussion on a list I’m on about the little buggers and also fungus gnats. Fruit flies have stripes our resident expert tells us, so we’re scrutinizing them to tell the difference. Fungus gnats come in on houseplants when you take them inside for the winter. Fruit flies come in on their own, as far as I can tell. Both get really annoying. Thank your sister in law for the tips. I already use the vinegar and soapy water and it works but I’ll have to stash my sweet potatoes, potatoes and onions somewhere, I guess.

Shine On,
    Lill

14. Erica 10/12/2010 at 9:03 pm

I do #5 and it works pretty well – I also add some dish soap to the vinegar so it forms a film that traps those suckers in there.