Emily Falconbridge is a free spirited creative soul who has been working as a writer and designer in the scrapbook industry for years. Her love for photographs and creating began when she was very young and she loves to used mixed media in her scrapbooks and play around with new techniques. She is mama to 3 and you can catch up with her here.

Quilt Making – From Zero to Hero!

I grew up with a quilt-a-holic mother, Yep, we would often eat our dinner picnic-style on the floor due to the table being taken over by scraps of fabric. I’d sometimes home from school to find the house full of cackling women, hunched around snipping and sewing and telling all kinds of stories (hence the cackling). I thought they were mad and quickly escaped to my room before they reeled me in to join them (which they tried to do more than once). My mother tried on many occasions to interest me in this beloved hobby of hers but I wouldn’t have a bar of it!

That is…until…a few weeks ago I was browsing a fabric store and saw a design that made my insides jump with deliciousness. It was fabric so cool, so yummy, and so…so expensive! I could never buy enough to make a skirt or curtains (which is what I really wanted it for), but I just had to get some! Half a yard? I could justify that! So what to do? Maybe – just maybe I’d try making my first ever quilt – something simple using this awesome piece of fabric as the feature, and some less expensive bits and pieces to go with it.

Having never been one to make anything with precision, I’d figure this pup out on my own – my own way!

So over the past few weeks I snuck time here and there to work on my little quilt – a gift for my baby who is soon to turn one. I’d cut, sew…sew…cut! It wasn’t without frustration (or the odd swear-word I’ll admit), and at one point a desperate plea for help (Ma? How do you put this thing together?!!) via the web-cam – but when this quilt of mine finally came together I was ready to sing from the rooftops in glee!

Here’s my photo journey of making my very first quilt (minus the hissy fits and angry faces!), I hope it will provide amusement to those esteemed quilters out there, and perhaps a bit of motivation to those of you wanting to try it for the first time too.

Whilst making it I swore I’d never make a quilt again in my life.

Now – I’m already planning the next TWO!

Emily 🙂

1. rani 02/22/2011 at 12:00 pm

love this tutorial!!!!! now I need to go make one!

2. donna 10/14/2010 at 8:49 pm

I am in the process of making my first quilt (ie- I have ordered the fabric) and every tutorial I have read is so confusing! This tutorial is great, I love that you explain it in non-quilters terms. ‘Triangle thing’. I love it! 🙂 Thank you, thank you!

3. Caranichole 10/14/2010 at 8:32 pm

I never considered making a quilt but I have officially been inspired to make a quilt for my baby-to-be! Now I just need to find some fabric! thanks for the instructions and photos!

4. emily falconbridge 10/14/2010 at 2:00 pm

erica – that is such a cool idea! quilts are awesome. i was intimidated by them for so long and am so happy to have shed that fear!

birdy fabric (for anyone who wants to know) is a yummy, yummy fabric line called ‘Echino’ by Etsuko Furuya. warning = you will want to buy it ALL!

5. Emilyfalconbridge 10/14/2010 at 1:59 pm

6. Tami s 09/07/2010 at 2:09 pm

great instructions – I can't wait to start!

7. tanya 09/07/2010 at 6:22 am

Oh man. I am so inspired! I have been wanting to make a simple, beautiful quilt just like yours for each of our girls. With your simple instructions & great photos. I might just be able to tackle it! Thanks!

8. erica_f 09/06/2010 at 8:00 pm

That birdie fabric is great inspiration! When I was dating my (now) husband, I decided to make a quilt out of our old clothes so he could take it on a 2-month trip that summer. It's so cool how a quilt can be infused with so much meaning, and through the work it requires, it also soaks up your love.