Mama of 3. Founder of TodaysMama.com and Click Retreat, a photography and social media retreat for bloggers. TEDx: What?

Cell Phones and Brain Tumors

I had heard a pretty interesting interview on NPR the other day about cell phones and brain tumors and all of the politics behind who conducts the studies and where the research comes from. I of course want any negative findings to be lies and propaganda cobbled together by the association of local phone companies.

So of course when I saw this article on CNN: Study fails to end debate on cancer, cell phone link my interest peeked. They will finally give me some reassurance that there is indeed no link between brain tumors and cell phone usage – because they can’t prove it.  So get off my pretty little phones back OK!

Until I read this line right here:

“At the highest exposure levels — using a mobile phone half an hour a day over a 10-year period — the study found a 40 percent increased risk of glioma brain tumors. With adjustments for statistical biases, that turned into 80 percent. But Krewski and colleagues say that there is not enough evidence to show a causal connection, and the group of participants using their phones this much was relatively small.”

WTH. I’m screwed. If that’s all it takes to be considered in the highest exposure group I might as well go get myself an MRI now!

I need everyone to do me a solid. (for real)

• Take out your phone.
  • Check your total usage or your lifetime usage.
  • Leave your total as a comment below.

(on an iPhone go to: settings –> general –> usage –> lifetime)

I dare you to beat me (and I really want you to beat me. Make me feel better please!)

In an 18 month period of time I have been on my phone for a grand total of:

47 DAYS & 20 HOURS

That means that I am on my cell phone roughly 47 minutes a day.  17 minutes longer than the “highest exposure” level users. (I put “highest exposure” in quotes because they are obviously pansies).

What just happened to my risk level now? Now let’s add in the fact that I have an iPhone – basically like a mini super computer emitting tumor forming rays at my head. And now let’s just toss out the wifi in my house and the radiation emitted from my desktop and my laptop.

And I’m not really taking into consideration the text messages I send, the number of times I check my email on my phone, or my freaking obsession with the ParaPanic app while I’m sitting in church!

(breathing heavier now and headed over to Web MD)

In the meantime, please just leave your totals below while I go see if my inability to remember people’s names is linked to my new self diagnosed brain tumor.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Pingback: I Think I Have Breast Cancer « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

2. Anastasia B 03/22/2011 at 3:39 pm

Thanks for the comment on my new post! I will be the odd ball here and say that in the past year I have talked on our cell phone for a total of about fifteen minutes 🙂 Yes, that’s right, a year. After 8 years of constant migraines I was willing to try anything, thankfully ditching my phone completely eliminated them. I’m not willing to go back. The way I see it, the more time passes, the more links are found to brain tumors. It’s just not a risk I’m willing to take. Life is easy without a cell phone, we just keep one (off) in the car for emergencies. I honestly don’t miss it the least bit, I actually think my life is a lot more peaceful without it and if people want to reach me, they can leave a message on my home phone 🙂

3. rachael 05/25/2010 at 8:01 am

snap! That is amazing! And it makes me happy that you have more days than me. Think about that! You have spent 2 1/2 solid months talking on your phone!

4. BreAnne 05/24/2010 at 11:12 pm

Honestly, I don't want to know so I am not checking the stats. Over the past year I have offered my cell phone as a “please be quiet toy”. I should have know it was going to end up a snack. But now it makes me wonder if eating my phones radiation has something to do with the fact that my little boys hair has grown in curly this past year…a coincidence? I hope so.

5. MommaDJane 05/24/2010 at 5:14 pm

Ready for this?! My iPhone says a lifetime of usage is… drum roll…. 79 Days and 18 Hours and I've had it not quite two years. However on my defense I use it for work, home and mobile phone. And I will admit I do talk a lot. Thank goodness most of my family and friends have AT&T.

6. dianna 05/24/2010 at 8:19 am

I have trouble remembering names, too. argh. iphone usage: 18 hours 21 minutes, but i just reset it as a new phone a couple weeks ago.

7. cricutmom 05/19/2010 at 1:31 pm

Mine is 65 hours 11 minutes, but I've had it for at least 4 years so that only equals about 16 minutes a day.

8. Pingback: Tweets that mention Cell Phones and Brain Tumors « TodaysMama -- Topsy.com

9. tauni 05/19/2010 at 9:58 am

13 Days, 9 Hours (I have had this phone for almost a year.) While I am not on track to beat you on my iPhone, I also have a BlackBerry for work calls. I think It is safe to say these habits already constitute an illness….

10. carlameine 05/19/2010 at 8:26 am

When I read this post I thought on no…I'm sure I use my phone much more than that as I also use it for business. I've only had this phone for 4 months (dropped my last Iphone in a pedicure basin) and I already have 9 days 11 hours on it. If my calculations are right then that means I'm at 113.5 minutes a day. So what do I do now…tell people I can't return their calls because that would put me over my 30 minutes???

11. Amber@ClassicHousewife 05/19/2010 at 7:45 am

I can't pull up my totals.. but I can tell you this:
    My husband uses his cell phone (for work and personal both, because he is self employed) more than anybody I know. He had to bump up to their highest rate plan to avoid going over! He easily talks on his phone a couple hours a day. (Or 3. Or 4.) And he has for the past six years.
    And if he's got a brain tumor, we have no clue because it hasn't interfered with his thinking, well-being or otherwise daily function. ;0)
    I myself have used a cell phone as my main/only phone for 6 yrs also, and EASILY talk more than 30 minutes a day on it. Seriously — who did they talk to for this study?

12. erinoltmanns 05/19/2010 at 5:45 am

5 Days, 16 Hours. (I've had my phone for a year.)

I'm going to go ahead and say that 5 Days of my usage has been spent on the phone with YOU. What I lack in talk time, I more than make up in email and texting. We're DOOMED.

13. rachael 05/18/2010 at 11:32 pm

dangit! I too sleep with it on my nightstand – it serves as my alarm. How long have you had your phone?

14. Chelle Cazella 05/18/2010 at 11:05 pm

29 hours 10 minutes. But I also sleep with it on my nightstand. It checks the mail every 15 minutes shooting it's radioactive waves at me while I dream. Fun times..