SpokaneMama and Yoke’s Fresh Market have partnered to bring you some family friendly food advice each month. Find out which fruits and vegetables are in season, learn food tips and tricks, and enjoy a delicious recipe sure to please your hungry family.
Yokes Market knows that children enjoy veggies and fruits. Each month we highlight those that are currently in season.
Veggies in season include: Acorn and Butternut Squash and Swiss Chard
Fruits in season include: Pineapple, Pomegranate, and Honeydew Melon
- Choose squash that is heavy for its size
- Squash is high in fiber, potassium, and magnesium
- Squash is an excellent source of vitamins A and C
- Choose pineapples with dark green leaves, heavy for their size, and avoid brown spots
Here’s a tasty recipe for those ripening Acorn Squash. Yum!
Recipe: Acorn Squash Bake
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 60-65 minutes
1 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Turn acorn squash upside down onto a cookie sheet. Bake until begins to soften, approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Remove squash from the oven and turn onto a plate so that the flesh is facing upwards.
- Place butter and brown sugar into the squash and place remaining squash over the other half.
- Place squash in a baking dish so the squash won’t slide around too much while baking.
- Bake 30 more minutes.
These are very hot when they come out. Cutting each half into quarters will help it cool quicker when serving to children.