It’s 5pm and my three kids are driving me insane. How can I save my sanity during the “witching hours?”
The Wicked Witch of Missouri
Dear Wicked Witch,
Here are a few magical ideas to make the witching hours–the ones between 4 and 7 pm when they need you and you need a spa–more angelic:
• Indulge yourself. No one’s happy if momma ain’t happy. Late afternoon is the perfect time to savor that fully-leaded coffee, piece of chocolate or other sin of choice.
• Make use of the bathtub. It’s not just for washing anymore. Bubbles, shaving cream, plastic cups, sponges, or water paints buy lots of whine-free time.
• Get outside. A nature walk, sidewalk chalk, a game of catch, or a few minutes on a bike let off cranky energy.
• Skip family dinner; have family dessert. Waiting until Dad comes home can push the limits of kid-sized stomachs. Feed the troupes early, get them ready for bed, and let them eat dessert when you dine later–with everyone in a better mood.
• Read a book. Why save books for bedtime? Reading, either together or alone, slows the pace of a hectic day.
• Put on festive music. Something jumpy, something fun, anything to set a fun mood.
• Do something shocking. Crazy hat afternoon. Inside-out clothing only. No forward walking allowed. Shake things up with a funny rule for the challenging hours of the day.
• Resign yourself to the floor. A few minutes of uninterrupted play with mommy stops their shirt-pulling and lets you feel less guilty when you escape to make dinner, return phone calls, or shut the door to the bathroom.
Tags: mama life